Introduction


Presented in reverse chronology, this history stretches from the present back to the Fellowship's 1970 founding, and beyond.
(See "Blog Archive" in the sidebar below.) It draws from many sources, including The Fellowship of Friends - Living Presence Discussion, the Internet Archive, the former Fellowship of Friends wiki project, cult education and awareness sites, news archives, and from the editor's own 13-year experience in the Fellowship.

The portrait that emerges stands in stark contrast to sanitized versions presented on the Fellowship's array of
alluring websites, and on derivative sites created by Burton's now-estranged
disciple, Asaf Braverman.

Sunday, March 24, 1985

Damage control following Miles' departure

"The new Russian premier [Mikhail Gorbachev] has a birthmark on the top of his head.
He looks as if he has been clubbed. It is one of the worst omens I have ever seen.
He is an actor appearing on the stage of hydrogen warfare." - Robert Burton

[ed. - The above shows how, when threatened, Burton manipulates his followers through fear. In this way he maintains his power over them. Jim Jones did the same as he led his flock to mass suicide.]

Tim Campion posted the following on the Fellowship of Friends Discussion Blog:
The following shows Robert Burton in “damage control mode” following Miles’ departure. I believe it was unusual at the time for dinner notes to be immediately published and distributed, but as Robert said, this was an unusual “shock,” and it called for extraordinary measures.

[ed. - Unless otherwise noted, all remarks are Robert Burton's.]
March 18, 1985 through March 24, 1985

I have worked seventeen years with influence C and Miles’ departure rates as one of the most unexpected shocks. I arrived home from my trip at 3:30, feeling that I had everything under lock and key. Miles insisted on seeing me. I asked him to wait a week, but after a shower, I called him back.

Miles mentioned that he was leaving his teacher as I had left my teacher. However, Miles was with the Fellowship fourteen years and I was with my teacher eighteen months. I told him he was making a mistake. My teacher never said that. [ed. - Robert was reportedly asked to leave Alex Horn’s school.]

I am not trying to think about how I can understand; I am thinking about how you can understand. As events unfold they will help you understand. When I talked to Miles I asked that he not work with Fellowship students or former students. Miles stressed that they would have to decide for themselves. One does not take another teacher’s students, yet I think that this will occur. [ed. - Au contraire! See how Robert Burton schemes to take another teacher's students.]
Miles did wonderful service for the Fellowship. We have had that taken away. C influence is removing our crutch.

There are no former students that I dislike. One cannot experience self-remembering and dislike simultaneously.

Goethe said there are moments in which time can be so cruel. This was a cruel moment. Our job is to handle it because we can not change it; but we can change ourselves.

Angels are brilliant technicians and they have delivered a brilliant shock. Students may not understand how much I am an impartial observer to the play. Naturally, for they are HIGHER forces, I know better than to challenge them, but rather use their shocks.

This shock was designed to prepare us for more difficult shocks. The new Russian premier [ed: Mikhail Gorbachev] has a birthmark on the top of his head. He looks as if he has been clubbed. It is one of the worst omens I have ever seen. He is an actor appearing on the stage of hydrogen warfare.

In dealing with a shock of this magnitude one needs to separate, and also to affirm and reaffirm one’s aim to separate, and to realize it.

For every student that fails, ten will be strengthened.

This means more responsibility for all of us, and more responsibility means more being for all of us.

On the surface, a shock like this appears to make a jungle out of evolution, but on the contrary it can bring unity and harmony to one’s life. Its true meaning is to produce the third state and not identification.

With shocks like this one, one must keep one’s thinking above feminine dominance. One has to use it to be present and not identify with one’s feelings about it. If one is identified with it, one is under feminine dominance. Rainier Maria Rilke called us “wasters of sorrows.”

I am grateful for this shock. It has helped people to awaken; it has jarred them. I am grateful for that.

Each of us will need to make continued efforts after this shock. Six to twelve weeks – it is not something one can relax with. One really can never relax, but it is more apparent now.

Student: There are many students who do not have the good fortune to know you or to see you. Some of these students are confused because they know Miles and are not sure what action to take.

Teacher: Those who are crystallizing correctly will survive; those content with influence B will fail.

Student: It is very painful to have friends leave. It is something we can not understand.

Teacher: It is a natural occurrence for evolution. If we look at conscious beings they almost always lose their wife or child. So this kind of suffering is, in a way, a logical kind of suffering, considering that we are involved in evolution.

Student: Is there a way for those who are struggling to ask for help?

Teacher: The shock is designed to force understanding from people, to force something from oneself and, from one angle, not from me. Forced to one’s own understanding – nothing could be better than that.

We can and should always retreat to self-remembering. Early in my development if I could not understand something within ten minutes, I would let it go. Intuitively, I knew that the machine was undermining self-remembering. A work “I” is: “Listen to no ‘I’s now.” So I would do the looking and listening exercises, trying with all my being to dodge the many “I”s. And how sweet the “I”s can be, trying to entice one.

Something important for men number four is not to be slowed down by one another. Plato said, “Press on those ahead of you and forget about those behind.” Especially, the higher your level of being, you must not let others slow you down.

The first Gurdjieff book I bought was sold to me by a man who was a little disdainful of Gurdjieff. He said the Gurdjieff was full of holes. I said that awakening is like a donut – keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole. There are plenty of holes in the Fellowship, but there is a donut too.

One in five that enter this School enter the Way. All of Mr. Gurdjieff’s students left him. Mr. Ouspensky had a five percent retention rate, and my former teacher had much less than that. We have about a twenty percent retention rate. That is one reason I try to stay away from new students; if they leave, I do not want them to leave with my time.

In your life you will see that I have never stopped teaching. A teacher realizes himself by withdrawing.

Rodney Collin said one can love a teacher but not understand him. It is the same with influence C; we can love them but not understand them.

When we have already found influence C, why should we go looking for it elsewhere?

I wish I could convey to you how lucky we are. Paul said, “Everything I have gained is due to suffering.” This shock is suffering, but we will gain.

All that is certain is that we have this moment, our aim to awaken, and influence C; that is all we know.

Influence C do everything they can to shake us from them. Those who can not be shaken are worthy to enter Heaven.

Nothing is sacred – nothing but our aim to awaken. There is nothing influence C will not do to produce that. We are the lucky recipients of their work.

The end justifies the means. I think that one understands that simply these days. The system has to be very simple to reach us.

We could not possibly be delivered without shocks. No matter how much we are suffering, we can always look around and see someone, some life person, suffering more. Everyone suffers, but we have been instructed by Angels to transform suffering – and make something of it.

We cannot escape through thinking; we cannot escape through laughing or crying; we can only escape through self-remembering.

What there is to gain is so great that I speak two words incessantly and incessantly return to those two words: self-remembering.
See also: Miles Barth's Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment